Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Celebrating a silent Christmas

Me at Pohang, South Korea
Celebrating Christmas with family members and friends is extremely and is always full of vibration. There will be a chorus of voices yelled, singing melody songs, laughing and cracking of jokes and bonded with love, peace and joy as family members enjoying the company of one another. It's truly a joyous moment in life.

But celebrating Christmas without them is just a silent night, quiet Christmas. Even a single sound of a cracker will not even be heard. No greetings, no laughter, no smiles, nothing but it's just a peaceful time. Just a silent Christmas. 

Christmas was a time of happiness, sharing gifts, commemorating the birth of Christ, and the birth of a new beginning. That should be the essence of the Christmas season, but when family members are absent, it loses its value. The day becomes meaningless, it's just another day. Just another time.

I was in South Korea, waiting for my return flight home, on 27th Dec, when the Christmas day appears. I remember back in my Island nation - the Solomon Islands, the day brings explosion of noise. People will shout, sing, some even scream in joy, others beat drums, roofing irons, wooden drum, and bell to express their happiness as they receive Christmas. But while I was waiting for my flight, sitting quietly in my room, covered with the silence, I checked my watch and realized that it's already 2:30 am. That was when I noticed that Christmas day was just passed by.

So I turned on my Whats-app and called. Checked on my wife, kids, and other family members but the connection was failed. So I turned to IMO. This time round I checked through my contact list and start calling friends in Philippines, Peru, and others here in South Korea. All these attempts were just to greet and wish them Merry Christmas, as a way of expressing the joy of Christmas celebration. To others I cannot call but send them Christmas messages.

The only joy I have during this Christmas is, am going home. It’s always a pleasure to return home after spending some time overseas. Home is always home. Just like honey, it's sweet always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment